Monday, August 9, 2010

In Flux

I titled this post "In Flux" for a few reasons. One is that flux is a substance used in jewelry to solder metal together and so I've named my jewelry business Flux Jewelry. But also because my life is in a state of flux or change at the moment.

I have been creating jewelry since 2002 when I was laid off from a job and decided to pick up a new hobby. I've always wanted to have some part in the fashion business but I knew I didn't have the talent to be a fashion designer. So I thought that jewelry design was a fun, creative outlet for me. I took night classes at the Fashion Institute of Technology for a few years and then started to create jewelry out of my home. It's always been just a hobby where I might make a few earrings one day and then not make anything for months. And I've mostly just made for friends, family and co-workers because I didn't feel like taking the time to turn it into a full blown business. It takes a lot of time and patience but also a lot of tools and materials, so I really just make things when I see something inspiring or a friend's birthday is coming up and I want to make them a gift.

Lately, with more friends and family having kids I've recently had requests for jewelry with kid's names on them. I'm a fan of the name necklace, a la Carrie Bradshaw, and wore one for many years, but never really thought about creating my own until now. I know there are a ton of jewelry designers out there who already do this type of work and do it well, so I've been looking at their work and figuring out what works for me. I don't know where this will take me but here's a look at the evolution of my jewelry over the years...
One of my first designs. I'm really into circles!

My venture into sea glass. This was a challenge.

Getting a little more creative.

2009-2010 "simple & chic" design route.

Name tags of today!

No comments:

Post a Comment