Saturday, April 17, 2010

How To Not Spend Money

It's basically impossible to not spend any money when you are unemployed in NYC, in case you are a thief. I try to limit the spending to food and bills (which there are about 10 of including phone, mortgage, maintenance, COBRA, electric, gas, etc.). Unemployment pays about half of what my actual salary was so obviously I'm now having to spend beyond my means. That said, I decided to go out with a friend the other day to do a little shopping. Thanks to my tax return I was able to have the extra money needed to go out and buy a new suit jacket. I've realized recently that maybe after almost 10 years of wearing the same black suit on interviews that it's time to freshen things up a bit and splurge on a new jacket. So after 3 hours of going store to store, I landed a new suit jacket! The best part is that my friend ended up getting the same jacket for FREE. You could say it was stealing but it was actually a huge mix up at the checkout counter where the sales person forgot to scan the jacket and my friend had taken it and put it in her shopping bag without realizing. So technically she did not know she was stealing. We debated for a while whether she should go back and say something. And then she realized that there was still an alarm tag! So she goes back to the store, they take the alarm tag off, and she still walks out without paying for the jacket. I, on the other hand, did pay for my jacket. I wonder who will get the job?

No comments:

Post a Comment