Tuesday, April 20, 2010

It's Good to Know a Chef

This past weekend my in-laws were in town so my husband, Rick, decided to take them to dinner at The Grocery on Smith St. in Carroll Gardens. Rick has been interning there for a month or so because he wanted to work in a small, chef/owner operated, highly-regarded restaurant. We've been there twice before he started interning there and have loved it both times. Now that he knows the chef it made the dining experience a little different. We sat down at 5pm because that was the only time we could get a reservation for 5 people (his sister came, too). The place immediately started to get crowded but that didn't stop Charlie, the chef/owner, from treating us like we were "somebody." He brought us each a glass of champagne and two complimentary amuse bouche as well as some fresh slices of salmon to taste. Then he brings out an asparagus dish that was a variation of something that was on the menu for us to try. It was of course delicious. But the best part of the evening was when we all ordered our food. I ordered the vegetarian lasagna, my mother-in-law and sister-in-law and my husband all ordered the scallops, and my father-in-law ordered lamb (I think). All of a sudden my husband gets a call on his cell phone and ignores it. Then it rings again. He decides to answer it and it's the chef calling from the kitchen! He says that he's not bringing out three scallop dishes and that my husband can just taste theirs so he has to pick something else to eat. It was pretty hilarious that he did that but he was right, why not order a bunch of different dishes and try everyone's? Everything was consistenly amazing. We even received complimentary sorbets in addition to the desserts we ordered. I definitely recommend going to The Grocery for your next dinner. And if you go on a Tuesday night you might just get something my husband made.

No comments:

Post a Comment