Monday, April 26, 2010

Street Sm-art

Yesterday my husband and I went to see the movie "Exit Through the Gift Shop." I had seen a good review on "At the Movies" and heard from a friend recently that it was sold out when she went to go see it, so I was intrigued. I have to say that this was one of my favorite movies so far this year. First of all, this short film is not only insightful and fun to look at, but it's funny, and it's all in an hour and a half. It brings you into the world of underground street artists through a documentary that ends up being a documentary sort of about the making of a documentary.

The film begins with Banksy, a well known British street artists who is also the creator of this film, saying that this was suppose to be a film about him but it ends up being about the guy who was filming him because he's actually more interesting. The film began as the obsession of Thierry Guetta, a French immigrant in Los Angeles, who became fascinated by street art and spent years filming the art and its creators. As Thierry follows various street artists filming days and days of footage, he begins to get involved with making street art himself, even though he has no artistic talent. Now I don't want to ruin the movie for you but I have to say that as it continues there is a twist that has caused a lot of speculation and theories on whether this was a real documentary or a Banksy hoax. I definitely say "See It" and let me know what you decide.

No comments:

Post a Comment