Saturday, April 24, 2010

Because I Care Part 3

Today I volunteered again for New York Cares, but this time I decided to try something new. I went to PS 270 in Clinton Hill to help a group of kids learn photography. They were all about 10 years old and all really sweet kids. Each volunteer had two kids that they were in charge of. I was excited to have two girls run up to me right away to work with me. Now I don't know much about photography but it was really just a way to get the kids outside, have fun and help them look at things in a new perspective. The goal today was to take pictures of colors. So we went out to the playground and I guided them into taking different photos of things they saw and try and look at them in a different way. So one girl was laying down on the jungle gym to take a picture of the sky and the tree. Mostly they just wanted to take pictures of themselves or each other. They were able to do this for about a 1/2 hour and then most of them seemed like they just wanted to hang on the swings or run around. But it was a Saturday so I don't blame them.

After, we went inside and printed out two of their favorite photos for them to put in their own little book. One of my girls chose a picture of my stomach, which was pretty funny because I was wearing a gray shirt so it really was not a picture of colors. But who am I to judge?

I'm always apprehensive about doing these volunteer days because I just don't know what to expect. But every time I go I seem to really enjoy it. I recommend everyone at least try doing something. It will open your eyes to knew things and maybe even make an impact on someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment