Thursday, April 1, 2010

Because I Care

With the unemployment rate as high as it is and myself being unemployed, I thought that there are people out there who need help and I have the time to do something about it. So after going to an orientation for New York Cares a few weeks ago, I signed up to help at a food pantry right in my neighborhood of Clinton Hill, Brooklyn. NY Cares has so many volunteer opportunities that it was hard to pick one but since I wasn't sure how I'd do with animals, seniors or kids, I thought that helping people select free food was the way to go. It was great to meet all the other volunteers, many who return every week to donate their time. But it was even better knowing that I could help out just a little to the people that really need it. And the project was very simple. Basically, anyone can come to the food pantry at the Child Development Support Corporation between 10am and 12pm to pick up a certain amount of food depending on their family size. The food options today (and I was told they can change depending on what has been donated) were cereal, pasta, rice, beans, peanut butter, canned meat or frozen meat, canned fruits and vegetables, milk, and then an assortment of fresh fruits/veg and baked breads. I think it was about enough to last a few days to a week maybe.

If anyone is interested in volunteering with New York Cares or donating, you can go to their website. If you would like to visit CDSC's food pantry on Thursdays, the address is: 352-358 Classon Ave.

No comments:

Post a Comment