Thursday, April 8, 2010

Around the Hill in Warm Weather

Being unemployed and having such beautiful weather lately has allowed me to enjoy more of the Clinton Hill/Fort Greene area. Yesterday was over 80 degrees, so I went with my friend to Fort Greene Park for a few hours. We had a lovely little picnic at the top of the hill and checked out all the sunbathers. This is a great park and glad that there are places like this in NYC to at least get a little exposure to grass and trees. There's a huge playground, tennis courts, basketball courts, and the prominent Prison Ships Martyrs Monument. It can get busy but definitely not as crowded as many of the other parks in NYC, and not as much of a "scene" as McCarren Park.

Another place I visited a few times recently that I've never been to before was Tillie's cafe on DeKalb. I've walked by it a million times but finally decided that it was time to check it out. There are a few other cafes in the area, such as Connecticut Muffin, but Tillie's is definitely a hot spot for people with lap tops or people like me who want to just relax with a good book and a cup of coffee. I was a little disappointed that they don't have decaf coffee but they were able to whip me up a decaf espresso type coffee drink.

And if you're looking for a great restaurant, I'd have to recommend Maggie Brown. My husband and I have been here many many times and it's always great food and a cool atmosphere. There's also a big backyard if you want to dine outside in the nice weather. The brunch is amazing. The omelet's are great and come with a side of home fries, salad and toast or a biscuit. And the bloody mary's are not to miss.

No comments:

Post a Comment