Monday, April 5, 2010

Yogalicious

If you're like me, ever since you were a little kid you participated in some form of physical activity. From gymnastics to various kinds of dance to softball to Lacrosse to even cheerleading. But while in college I dropped all that and forced myself to either go to a gym or take a step aerobics class since that's what everyone else did. I really did not enjoy doing this but for some reason I continued it even after college. Then I found yoga and realized I found an activity I really enjoyed and didn't feel like I couldn't keep up or drained at the end of it. I tried a few yoga classes at NY Sport Club, but the atmosphere there is not warm and relaxing. So then I tried OM Yoga in Manhattan, but that was inconvenient and a little expensive. After a few years of on-and-off yoga practice, my husband yet again saved the day and bought me a 10 visit pass to Move With Grace studio on Myrtle Ave. in Clinton Hill, Bklyn. The owner, Grace, started out much like I did with various sports and dance but then went on to study dance professionally. She has been practicing yoga for 8+ years and teaching dance for 5+ years. Grace opened the studio in 2007 and has since been offering dance, yoga and Pilates classes for all ages. The yoga class size can vary depending on the night and the level, but it's anywhere from 3 people to 10 people.

I unfortunately stopped going to Move With Grace because I was trying to save money and also because the time of the more advanced class was at 8:45pm, which is a little late for me. I recommend for anyone who is interested in yoga though to take at least 10 classes, learn what it's all about, and then you can get your own mat and practice at home on your own time. If you really enjoy it, there are so many other opportunities out there, from weekend yoga retreats such as Big Sky Yoga Retreats in Bozeman, Montana where you can indulge in yoga and skiing or yoga and horseback riding. Or, check out the Kripalu center for yoga & health in western Massachusetts where you can enjoy a retreat or even train to be a yoga instructor. Yoga Magazine is also a great resource.

No comments:

Post a Comment